VIDIUS. For every student of Utrecht

Studying with a disability or chronic illness

Being a student with a disability or chronic illness is often harder and costs more money and energy than studying without that disability, but it does not have to stop you from getting your diploma. Examples are students with visual, auditive or motorial disabilities, dyslexia, AD(H)D or depression. Many organisations concern themselves with providing facilities and services for these people. It is important to be aware of these services and to request these prior to your start at your chosen university or school.


Individual student grant

Is it impossible for you to work next to following a full time study and is this because of a chronic illness or a physical or psychological disability? Then there is a chance you qualify for an individual student grant, provided by your own municipality. You can achieve a lot more with some extra help. Don’t let the money be wasted! The individual student grant is given to students who can’t (fully) work next to their study and is meant as a helping hand for such students to obtain their diploma. The grant is a gift and does not need to be paid back. As of January 17 2019, the student grant in Utrecht is set on 200 euros a month.


Services provided by your own school or University

Did you know that students with disabilities or chronic illnesses can get extra services and help, like extra time during an exam? Students who qualify for this are for example people with AD(H)D, depression, asthma and visual, auditive or motorial disabilities. Contact your study advisor (UU) or your student dean (HU) and together you can discuss your situation and see if there’s anything that can help you. It’s in your best interest to have everything worked out as soon as possible, so that the extra services can be arranged in advance.

Want to know more about studying at the UU or HU with a disability? Click on the links below.


Supported Study Platform (Platform Onbeperkt Studeren)

Supported study platform was brought into life by students with a disability who want to help out students with disabilities and other impairments. The organisation provides information and has a say in the UU policy around students with a disability. Next to that, students with for example dyslexia, AD(H)D or autism can come to them and ask for support and guidance. Do you want to know more about the subject or do you need extra help in dealing with things like university or your social life? Then applying for a buddy might be something for you! Click here for more information on Platform Unrestricted Student.


Sign up for our monthly newsletter